Why am I up so god-awful early?

Saturday, May 30, 2009
I was up, as usual, bright and early this morning (thank you Anubis, my personal alarm clock cat). Grabbed a drink, had a wee, and opened the patio doors for the boys to run outside. Our apartment faces east and we have, as you probably have seen, a great view of the river valley and the far end of the city. Perfect for sunrises. However, it wasn't a sunrise this morning that I spied when I popped out onto the balcony with the cats. It was a thick column of black smoke rising from somewhere on the hill behind the Muttart Conservatory. At first, I figured it was something to do with the refineries - we often see flames coming from one of the stacks. On closer inspection though I realized the smoke was south of refinery row and in what I believe is a residential area. Hmmm. Sure enough, a minute later, one lonely fire engine came rolling through the river valley and headed off in the direction of the smoke. Yep, definately a fire. Within 15 minutes, the smoke had gone from black to grey to white and was gone a few minutes after that. Fingers crossed it's only property loss/damage and no one was hurt. I'll have to check out the news tonight to find out.

While observing the smoke from the comfort of my balcony, I snapped a few other pictures of how our pots are doing. The good news? Most of them are surviving...sort of. The bad news? I think most of the pansies have died. And I'm not sure if it's bugs or some sort of pollen like substance all over them. Ewwww. I mentioned it to mom and we might end up pulling them out and trashing them. We're going to have to keep track of which plants are thriving and which are struggling (including the mini rose bush the Admiral bought). Cat grass grows amazing well. The boys are hopped up on greens. And two of my plants, the purple calibracho and the petunias are doing well - pics below.

My morning glories died so I ripped them out (or so I had thought) and threw in the rest of the seeds. One plant though seems to have risen from the dead and has emerged from the frost and snow unscathed... We'll see what happens in the next few weeks. June is here so hopefully (fingers crossed) the snow and cold temps are finished. Replanted a few bean seeds which are also growing as are the beets and lettuce. Mom's sweet peas and peas are starting to grow as well.

Other than that, not much else going on. Hockey playoffs, work on the sweater is progressing, and reading. Wait! I promised a pic of the sweater, didn't I? Ok, here goes...


Wandering Coyote said...

The sweater looks great!

My garden is in and my arugula is doing very well. Also, my spinach appears to be coming up, too. Other than that...PURSLANE is back!! Nooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!

Missing you on FB, BTW, and our Lexulous games. Wanna do the email thing?

mister anchovy said...

These days, especially with a puppy in the house, I see the dawn every morning. I used to have a difficult time with mornings, but I'm beginning to enjoy being up this early.

Barbara Bruederlin said...

I find I don't sleep in summer either. I go to bed later and get up earlier each day. I figure by September I will be down to a half hour sleep per night.

I really need to get some plants but I figure my dead grass in the pot on the front porch looks kinda rebellious.

sp said...

I love the sweater! It looks amazing. Nicely done. I wish I had your knitting talent.

tweetey30 said...

I havent torn out the old garden yet and that was suppose to be this years adventure in the back yard..Yikes.. but I suppose we can wait a bit longer for that. Maybe if i can talk my parents into bringing there rotor tiller with them the next time they visit I will take care of the mess in the back yard.

Milla said...

See? You can have a magnificient garden even on a balcony!

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top