The Enemy Returns

Sunday, November 15, 2009
Friday night I had a not so great sleep. Nothing major, still ended up with approx. 7 hours of snooze time. However, Nubi has been overly affectionate lately and I was awoken a number of times by furry, purry headbutts. Fastforward a few hours to lunchtime yesterday when I decided to have a sandwich. Mmmm, sandwich. I had a desire for both mayo and mustard which doesn't happen all that often in our house. I took both condiments out of the refrigerator and placed them on the counter. Hmmm. Is that mayo still good, I wondered? Opened up the jar...smelled okay...for mayo. Slapped it on the sandwich, added the ingredients and chowed down. Yeah, not the best idea. As I was eating it, I realized that it wasn't quite right but couldn't tell if it was the mayo, the salami, the choice of cheese or a combination of any of the above. It was the mayo.

I spent the rest of Saturday lying in bed feeling as though I was going to woof my cookies, drinking gingerale (Canada Dry - made with REAL ginger according to their new marketing campaign), and eating tomato soup with crackers (crumbled into the soup - sorry WC). While I did not actually get sick, I felt pretty rotten. The soup helped, or perhaps it was the gingerale; either way bedtime came around 8:30 and sure enough, Nubi was right there looking for love in all the wrong places (no...not like that...don't be gross). When you throw in a rambunctious Rocky who was bound and determined to get into my closed closet on more than one occasion, I didn't sleep well.

At 2 a.m., I woke up with a pain in my back, right between the shoulder blades. Glancing over, I found a sleeping cat curled up in a perfect circle right in the centre of my bed. Great. No wonder my back was sore. I probably ended up on my back because I wasn't able to roll around. Damn kitty. When I got out of bed to have a quick wee, I began getting a pain just below my ribcage. Oh Fuck, I thought. Not again. "Oh yes", my innards chuckled gleefully, "again!" For the next 4 hours, I sat up watching CNN, curled up with my heating pan and downing ultra strength Tums like they're Purdy's Peanut Butter Daisies. It's now almost nine in the morning and the pain has mostly gone away. Still pressure in the middle of my torso but if I tried to go to sleep, chances are I'd be able to now.

No word from my doctor on the results of my ultrasound. I'm guessing that means there was nothing on the ultrasound pics but as he said, that doesn't mean there's nothing there. If it is acid reflux, I thank whatever gods there might be that I don't get his reaction from tomatoes. I'd have to give up at that point.


Barbara Bruederlin said...

Oh nasty! I hope you are feeling better now.

When I developed a reaction to squid, I had a similar reaction. Only it took me three tries to figure out it was squid. Slow learner here.

mister anchovy said...

That sounds terrible. I hope you're feeling much better soon.

SME said...

Blech, that's awful. I'm glad it wasn't worse - mayo can really mess a person up! Feel better soon.

* (asterisk) said...

Ooh, no fun. I've recently taken to scrawling dates of opening on the sorts of jars that would otherwise sit too long in the fridge. Hopefully, should the event ever come around that I'm tempted by the mayo, this magic trick will save me!

sp said...

Wow, that's nasty. I'm so sorry you got sick.
I'm pulling for the tomatoes as well. It'll be something else, I'm sure.

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top