The rains have been falling almost constantly in Edmonton for over a week. Everyone is grumpy, missing the few days of sunshine we normally get each summer. Heck, even I would like to see that giant fireball in the sky once in a while although I'm enjoying the cool mornings. The plants on the balcony however are starting to drown.
In 'celebration' of all the rain we've received, I give you my top ten list of what I love about thunderstorms.
- Lightning. Single strikes, sheet lightening, bolts that seem to wrap around the sky – I love them all.
- The sound of rain falling is one of the best sounds in the world.
- The memory of sitting on the back porch with my dad, reading comics and drinking cherry Koolaid. The only thing we’d say was “ooooh” and “did you see that one”.
- The cats get freaked out and want to cuddle.
- Thunder. The bigger the boom, the better.
- Mother Nature is wicked awesome and a violent bitch.
- There’s almost no one else outside so I can enjoy the rain in peace.
- Watching the dark clouds roll in and waiting with anticipation for those first raindrops to fall.
- Flashbacks to watching Prince of Darkness with Big Brother at the drive in and a wall of lightning illuminating the sky behind the screen just as one of the women got shot in the face by the tube of demonic, soul-possessing goop. Um…that sounds wrong… The movie though still freaks me out to this day.
- I get to curl up in a big warm blanket with a good book and sit on the balcony, safe and sound watching the show.