The tests continue...

Wednesday, January 21, 2015
Yesterday I had my chest CT scan. The morning started off bright and very early. I was out of the house by 645 to be at the University of Alberta Hospital by 715. I was given a form to fill out and within 2 minutes of sitting down, I was being called for a chest xray.  I hadn't even taken my coat off yet! No waiting once we got to xray either - in and out in five minutes. Then, it was off to the CT scan area. After watching a short video about the procedure, I was whisked away to get prepped. All that this involved was having a needle inserted into my arm and a plunger dose of injectable dye attached to my arm.

Again, no waiting. I sat down in the waiting room, needle affixed to my arm, and managed to just get comfy (as well as I could given the situation and the chairs) when they came to get me. My nurse/technician for the CT scan looked almost exactly like Sean Hayes from Will and Grace. I was a bit apprehensive about the actual test. I knew it would be slightly claustrophobic but it wasn't until I actually laid down on the bed and saw just how coffin-like the machine is that I started to get nervous. Adding to my growning nerves, I had to hold my arms up and behind my head with the IV line for the dye held in my fingers. I don't know much about the process but it seemed that they took one picture without the dye, probably for comparison, before the injection and a second picture with the dye. Fortunately, I didn't have to slide completely into the MRI/CT machine. My head, neck, and shoulders (and IV line holding arms) were outside which allowed my nerves to calm down a bit. It felt as though it took longer than it probably did - it may have lasted only 10 minutes but it seemed twice as long. 

The whole process was smooth and uneventful. Everything went well and once again I was throughouly impressed with Alberta's quality medical staff. Each and everyone I encountered at the hospital was friendly, funny and seemed to be happy. I had originally been told the whole process would take two hours but I was in and out in just over an hour. My family doctor should have the results before the end of the week. Stay tuned.


Eugene K said...

I've never had one of these done. I think I'd be worried about feeling really confined. I hope the procedure leads to a quick resolution of the symptoms you've been having!

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top